Auto accidents are never fun, regardless if minor or major.
My client’s can get pretty rattled at the time of an accident.
Below are some quick and easy steps after an auto accident.
- Stop immediately, but don’t obstruct traffic. Set up accident flares or warning signs if you have them.
- Make sure to turn off your vehicle, to guard against fire.
- Determine if anyone is injured and assist if necessary.
- Call the police to file an auto accident report.
- Secure the driver’s license number, make, model and other important information of other vehicles.
- Take photos of driver’s license, registration, and vehicles involved, including license plates.
- Secure the names and addresses of witness or other parties.
- Observe your surroundings to determine direction, lanes of travel, traffic, weather conditions, to provide to your claim adjustor.
- Do not accept fault of accident or attempt to make settlement at the scene.
- Notify your insurance agent after the scene has be cleaned up and you are safely home.
- Always, always, keep clam, don’t argue, accuse anyone or admit guilt.
If you have any questions or concerns before or after an accident consult with your insurance agent.
Insurance agents have been involved in the claim process in a variety of situations and can provide you guidance on what to expect and best practices.