Yes, I am a fan of Game of Thrones. It is something my husband and I were able to binge watch in the evenings over the summer and are looking forward to watching when it airs next year.
With winter quickly approaching it is time to batten down the hatches for the looming cold temperatures and wintery precipitation.
Here is a quick list of things to check off as you prepare for winter…
- Clean out gutters of any debris for proper drainage and to reduce the chance of an ice damn.
- Disconnect and drain all outside hoses. If possible, shut off outside water valves.
- Repair roof damage and remove tree branches that could become weighted down with ice or snow and fall on your house or your neighbor’s house.
- Wrap water pipes in your basement or crawlspaces with insulation sleeves to reduce the chance of freezing.
- Clean your furnace and replace the filter to reduce the chance of fire.
- Have your chimney and/or flue inspected to make sure no animals are nesting there.
- Test or install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries twice a year.
- If your house will be unattended during cold periods, consider draining the water system.
Whether you live in a single family home, condo, or apartment be prepared for the freezing temperatures and the mounds of snow and ice to come.
By following the simple steps above you can reduce your chance of filing a home insurance claim and have a cozy winter season.
You can find more information about preparing for winter by visiting…